Friday, October 21, 2011

Aladdin's Carpets

Last weekend, amongst a few Canadian Thanksgiving turkey dinners, we went to a carpet ‘show’. The middle east is well known for its carpets, and based on the design and the colors/materials used, you can tell what region the carpet was made in. The carpet seller was originally from Afghanistan and brought beautiful carpets of all shapes and sizes from Iran, Afghanistan, Kazakhstan and ones locally made in Saudi Arabia. Each one was rolled out to oohhs and aaahhhs of everyone, and each carpet had its own story.

The carpet in the picture below was made out of silk with 6 million knots. It took 2 people 2 and a half years to make it and cost a little over four grand U.S. No we didn’t buy it. But it was pretty amazing to admire.

1 comment:

  1. That is crazy! I could not go to work and make one carpet in 2 and half years. After seeing carpets like those I'm sure you'll never be satisfied with anything you find back here in Canada. It sounds like you guys had a pretty great Thanksgiving. Dan and I had a turkey dinner three days in a row. I hope you are eating chocolate and candy tonight. I know we have been. I even took my class trick or treating at a nursing home today. Happy Halloween! Miss ya!
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete