Sunday, September 11, 2011

My Abaya


Well folks, here is the long awaited pic of my abaya. It’s a pretty trendy looking thing that has snaps in the front so it’s worn like a robe and a little bit of beading around the neck. It is also as hot as it looks to wear. I’ve gotten used to having sweat drip down my back and chest at all times while wearing it.

I rarely wear the head scarf (usually just keep it around my shoulders in case we come across the religious police, who are called the mataawa). I tried in the beginning to be good about keeping it on but my hair is too slippery and it kept falling off. Mike also doesn’t like when I wear the head scarf either because he can’t pick me out of a crowd!

It is strange to see the mix of dress when we’re out and about. Females always have on the black abaya, and many even cover their faces and heads completely with black material and wear black gloves. Men range from wearing western clothing to long white robes just like the abaya and a red and white checkered piece of cloth on their head. For a place that we’ve adapted to pretty quickly, this is a pretty big cultural difference that has taken some time to get used to.

1 comment:

  1. I thought I posted a comment already, but it didn't work...and because I thought I was clever, I'm going for it again. I think this post definitely fits your blog title! Can you wear a bikini underneath to combat the heat? Who would know?

    ReplyDelete